Tuesday 21 October 2008

Audio blogs = Podcasts


Not exactly a great revelation there, but for me there's a big difference in how I consume them...

Blogs are something that I'll visit because I follow them (usually because the blogger writes interestingly on relevant subjects) or because I find them from a search for something specific, in which case a really good one might end up as one I will read...

Podcasts are different (Mr Completely Obvious, the not-very-superhero, returns for a brief visit!) because I listen to them as I walk to work. So they are part of the transition from home to work. This is something which was drummed into me many years ago as the key to life, the universe, and quite a lot of other things too: separate home and work, and find something that marks that transition. So in my case, listening to a variety of podcasts does this, and it has worked very well for me.

Just as the books in a bookcase, or the CDs by the CD-player, reveal a lot about their owner (Mr Completely Obvious appears and vanishes again, rapidly...), so do podcasts. To make the link between blogs and podcasts complete, here are the main podcasts to which I subscribe:
The 'Good Doctor' and his DJ companion travel through the internet as digitised audio, in a film review programme that has opinion, rants, and humour throughout - but no connection to any other programme that might sound superficially similar to my opening phrase.
Admittedly there's not enough of them but what few there are are wonderful, qunintessential Fry. Of course, there's no way you could ever have enough! (Cough from Mr Completely Obvious here, of course)
SciAm is definitely my preference over the UK's 'New Scientist'.
Swoopy and Derek explore the sceptical side of science.
I used to write regularly for Sound On Sound magazine, so this is a way of listening in to them remotely. I still subscribe to the magazine as well, of course!

There's one other, but it is a video podcast, and so can't be safely viewed whilst walking! (Rustles can be heard in the background from an almost-superhero...)
The amazingly full-of-life Cali Lewis breathlessly entertains, enthuses and informs! A sort of geekier and less motor-sport-oriented US version of UK Gadget Show presenter Suzi Perry, perhaps?

(Other podcasts are available, as the disclaimer goes... )

(Of course, my Mr Completely Obvious has no connection with any other super heroes called Mr Obvious, Captain Obvious, Mr Readily Apparent, and so on...)

So there you go. You've now looked at my innermost books and CDs, and I hope it has been useful!

No comments: