Tuesday 20 January 2009

The Creative Use of Adverts


I've always been fascinated by the links between people who have things and people who want things. Connnecting the two sets of people together is much harder than it sounds. Blogs are one almost non-commercial examples, whilst adverts are a very commercial example. In fact, the word 'commercial' (as far as I know it is short for 'commercial break') is a synonym for an advertisement on television!

This blog has associated adverts, much like many web-pages, although since I'm more interested in the mechanisms behind the adverts than in people clicking on them, they are hidden away at the bottom of the columns where you have to be very keen to find them. If I was motiviated by income, then those adverts would be at the top of the page, and you might well have to scroll down to read the blog content. Which leads to another interesting thought...

The adverts are tailored to the content of the page, and so if I mention 'Christmas Crackers' like I did in a recent post, then there is a probability that adverts connected to Christmas Crackers will turn up on the page for some viewers. At the moment I'm not sure that adverts for highly seasonal goods like crackers are valuable commodities, so what are good words to attract adverts? Given today's historic Presidential Inauguration, one would assume that 'Barack Obama' might garner some related adverts, and I understand that 'mesothelioma' is highly rated because of public interest in asbestos and cancer.

Of course, if I was programming the placement of suitable adverts on a web-page, one of the things I would be looking for would be pages that were on the subject of adverts, and I would be especially careful about them. In the spirit of live experimentation, you might like to look at the adverts on this page and see if any of them reflect the things I've mentioned. Clicking on them is entirely up to you, of course!

No comments: