Monday 5 January 2009

Absolutely freezing!


There are times when I'm convinced that the world is not an artificial construct: Truman-style. And, rather like Douglas Adams' Infinite Improbability Drive, it has to do with the likeliness of something happening.

In a recent case, one contender for proof of the world being real came at my work Christmas Party, which partly took place in the Absolut Icebar in London. Here, in temperatures just below zero, people pay to stand around and look at ice sculptures and drink from containers made of ice (I hesitate to call them 'glasses' because they are made of water!). There are two types of people in the bar: people whose sole interests are drinking and the other people, and people whose sole interests are why it doesn't feel cold enough and why isn't the ice melting? The first group of people are having a good time, whilst the second group are just rubbing their fingers on the ice and furrowing their brows...

Amazing. Cold. Blue.

That's about it. Probably one of the strangest experiences I've had for some time, and a very strong contender for proof that the world as I experience it is actually real. I can still taste the irony in my soft drink...

No comments: