Tuesday 31 March 2009

Gophers and Masquerades

When I'm not working, I'm still thinking. When I'm not thinking, I'm asleep.

Holidays have always been a challenge to me. Turning my head off isn't easy. As a case in point look at a recent 'long weekend'... I went to an anime convention (anime is Japanese animation, pronounced 'annie-may', and is arguably the best animation on the planet, as well as the worst, and definitely the broadest range of topics, styles and rating.) called MinamiCon in Southampton (in the UK). I've been going to this annual convention for 14 years now, which makes me somewhat of a regular.

Having done stage lighting, PA sound, and been a roadie in the past, then I've slotted into the role of 'gopher' at conventions. 'Gophers' (aka 'gofers') are those 'almost invisible' volunteers who check badges, move chairs, enforce security, guard things, and do a zillion other essential tasks that make a convention possible. In recent years, I've been asked to look after the wrangling of the cosplayers who enter the Masquerade: the high point of the convention weekend.

Cosplayers? Derived from the Japanese 'cosplay' = 'costume player', this term refers to people who dress up as characters from anime - often a character from their favourite series.

Masquerade? This is a combination of spectacle, musical entertainment, sketch show and competition all rolled up into one. Cosplayers dress, act, sing or mime to music and compete against each other for best costume and a number of other variable prize categories that are definitely not made up on the spot by the judges.

At the Masquerade, I'm behind the scenes, making sure that the cosplayers are in the right order, which sounds deceptively easy. You can see both the cosplayers and the Masquerade from this year's MinamiCon by visiting Flickr and searching for the tag 'minamicon15'.

Apart from the Masquerade, there was Origami, Taiko drumming, panel sessions, and much, much more. A full weekend! Special mention should also go to the Novotel Hotel, Southampton, who were wonderful hosts - even putting on Japanese food!

One notable event at this year's MinamiCon was the Gopher Party at the end, where civilisation and decorum were present in much greater quantities than is usual. The gophers were also unable to consume all of the pizza, something which is unheard of!

No comments: